Go to Top

The Organ

The great organ was built by the firm of William Hill & Son, London, originally provided with 14 organ stops when installed in 1894, then enlarged to 48 speaking stops (including the only full length 322 Open Wood stop between London and Winchester) in 1905; in 1915 it was encased in a double fronted organ-case of magnificent proportions designed by Frank Loughborough Pearson.

The organ was restored in 1987 and was one of the first to be awarded a historic organ certificate by the British Institute of Organ Studies as being of international importance. It has informed the restoration of other large Hill organs, including those of Peterborough and Lichfield cathedrals and also Eton College.